After completing her MBA at The University of Texas at Austin, Alissa decided to forgo a traditional post-MBA job and instead launched milk + honey spa. Not only did she see an opportunity in Austin for a luxury day spa, but it was important to her to build something that made — and continues to make — others feel great. In January 2006, she launched milk + honey, and today, it encompasses a thriving collection of six spas in Austin, Houston and Fort Worth. In 2014, she launched milk + honey’s line of hyperclean, organic, and effective bath and bodycare products — with skincare debuting in 2019.
milk + honey's core Four Principles remain an ever-present foundational part of our processes, culture, and growth.
Be kind, compassionate, and listen to one another.
Enjoy what you do and push yourself to improve.
Surprise, delight, and go above and beyond.
Do more with less.
Named one of Austin Business Journal's "Best Places to Work," milk + honey is deeply committed to helping you achieve your personal and professional goals. We believe that happy employees, through training, wonderful service, and an enco
uraging environment result in happy clients who return often.
The Director of Human Resources is the owner of hiring, developing, and retaining the high-performing team members that power milk + honey. Our business is built on excellent interpersonal interactions between our professional therapists and stylists; our support staff; and managers with our customers. Therefore, Human Resources is at the heart of what makes us successful. The position will report to the CEO and be a member of the Executive Team.
Leadership and Operations:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively supervise, train and mentor HR and Talent Acquisition teams
- Be an essential part of developing and updating milk + honey’s strategic plan
- Being an effective counsel to the executive team on issues pertaining to talent, benefits, and employee relations
- Guide management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines; communicating and enforcing organizational values.
- Provide innovation by periodically reviewing existing operations, operating systems and technology to search for efficiencies
- Coordinate advertising, screening, interviewing and filling all senior leadership positions
- Be the point of contact for all insurance policies for the business (liability, WC, EPLI, business practices) also negotiate renewals and evaluate any additional coverage recommended
- Have an owner’s mindset when it comes to managing and improving milk + honey’s financials
- Establish the tone, the goals and the metrics sought for an exemplary recruitment program
- Use your personal network and develop new relationships to bring new talent to milk + honey
- Effectively supervise and hold accountable any team members who have recruiting responsibilities
- Perform periodic recruiting department reviews to determine the effectiveness of current processes and seek innovations for effectiveness and efficiency
Benefits + payroll administration:
- Develop and maintain a human resource system that meets company personnel information needs
- Maintain responsibility for company compliance with federal and state legislation pertaining to all personnel matters
- Communicate changes in company personnel policies and procedures and ensure proper compliance is followed
- Review and make recommendations on improvement of the company’s policies, procedures and practices on all personnel matters
- Manage all aspects of the employment cycle including writing job descriptions, offer letters, training, evaluating work performance and employee exits
- Conduct frequent training with managers and inc level employees that focus on HR topics
- Be an effective and available resource for staff’s questions about policies, benefits and payroll
Qualifications and Experience:
- Effectively supervise and mentor the HRBP and Generalist position in regards to payroll and benefits duties
- Have a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of the payroll process and be able train others on the specifics of pay for all departments
- Manage employee leaves of absence through FMLA and non medical leave
- Coordinate any worker’s compensation claims and resulting investigations, be the lead to solve any issues that result in a claim
- Administer the company’s insurance plans, including medical, dental, vision and supplemental employee insurance products
- Administer the company’s 401k plan (in conjunction with payroll)
- Be the point of contact for all Texas Workforce communication, including employer response to claims, eligibility hearings and appeals
- Coordinate any audits or legal claims involving benefit plans, company policies or employment issues
- Bachelor's degree in related field, or equivalent work experience required
- Master's degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in an HR Leadership position
milk + honey holdings, llc is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.